News and Views on Tibet

Press release on the shocking virdict passed on two Tibetans.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter

TCHRD has received confirmed information that Lobsang Dhundup was executed on Sunday, 26 January 2003, immedaitely after a secret trial at the Sichuan Provincial Higher People’s Court. The same court also reaffirmed Trulku Tenzin Delek’s death sentence with a two-year reprieve.

Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy express strong condemnation and grief over the shocking execution of Lobsang Dhundup. TCHRD also express dismay over the reaffirmation of Trulku Tenzin Delek’s suspended death sentence.

TCHRD would like to uphold its distrust over the judicial proceedings involving the deceased and Trulku Tenzin Delek as they were all carried out behind closed doors.

The release of some prominent political prisoners last year raised hopes of the improvement in the general human rights situation in Tibet but the recent court verdicts shattered all hopes. The verdicts were unexpected and unjust.

On 2 December 2002, a court hearing was held at Karze Intermediate People’s Court in Karze “TAP” in Sichuan Province where the deceased was sentenced to immediate death penalty with life-long deprivation of political rights and Trulku Tenzin Delek to death sentence with a suspension of two years. Both of them were charged with alleged involvement in a bomb blast incident on 3 April in the city’s main square (Tianfu) in Chengdu, Sichuan Province. Other charges labelled against them were “illegal possession of arms” and “engaging in splittist activities”.

However, due to huge international outcry and intervention, the execution did not take place as decided. Appeals were made and the case was referred to the Sichuan Higher People’s Court.

TCHRD strongly believe that both the deceased and Trulku Tenzin Delek were falsely accused. The conflicting views in the official Chinese newspapers of the bomb blast incident clearly indicate the contrived nature of the allegations.

According to Huo xin duoshi pao (Hou xin newspaper in Sichuan) of 5 April 2002 stated that following heavy investigation, within ten hours the persons in suspicion were arrested.

Ren min wang (People’s internet) of Xinhua (official Chinese newspaper) of 4 April 2002 stated that within ten minutes with help from eyewitnesses, a suspect was arrested within 200 meters at the site. The same paper stated that following investigation at the site of explosion, police found debris of batteries, newspapers and tattered clothes. It was stated that three people were injured in the incident: a young girl, an elderly lady and a boy. There was no mention of any Tibetan political leaflets being discovered at the explosion site.

According to a radio interview on 5 December 2002, with Radio Free Asia, Mr Zhao, director of the Karze judiciary mentioned that, “…twelve persons were injured…”

This is crucial in the light that the deceased and Trulku were linked to the entire incident with the sole evidence of so-called political leaflets being thrown and found at the site. According to Xinhua of 5 December 2002, the court verdict stated that the PSB discovered political leaflets at the site.

The trial was unfair, as both of them were not allowed legal representation. Information received from Tibet indicated that during the court proceedings of 2 December 2002, Late Lobsang Dhundup shouted, “Neither Trulku nor I am involved in any way with the bomb explosions. The trial was unfair.”

“While TCHRD conveys deepest condolence on the death of Lobsang Dhundup, grave concerns for the fate of Trulku Tenzin Delek may also be drawn. And for this we seek immediate intervention by the Special Rapporteur on Extra Judicial, Summary, or Arbitrary Execution, governments and the international community in this matter”, said Tsewang Lhadon, Executive Director.

For more background information visit

For details contact: 09839146099

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *