4 Tibetans killed in Lhasa protests identified
Phayul[Tuesday, August 18, 2009 13:17]
File photo of Shayshay, photo: Tibetnet
File photo of Shayshay, photo: Tibetnet
Dharamsala, August 18 – The local authorities of Nyemo County in Lhasa Municipality confirmed the identities of three Tibetans killed in “the Chinese government's violent crackdown on peaceful Tibetan protesters on 14 March 2008”, the exile Tibetan government’s website said.

The authorities revealed the identities of the three Tibetans following an inquiry by a couple looking for their sons.

The three Tibetans from Nyemo County killed on March 14 firing were Gyaltsen, 28, from Yakde village; Phuntsok Tsering, 20, from Yakde Lude and Mingyur, 20, from Yakde Khangsar. The three depended on petty jobs in Lhasa for livelihood.

“Many Tibetans were killed on 14 March 2008 when the Chinese security forces indiscriminately fired at peaceful Tibetan protesters. Many of those arrested continue to receive arbitrary and harsh prison terms. A large number of youths from neighboring counties, who were working in Lhasa, have simply disappeared following the security clamp down,” said the website.

Another Tibetan named Shayshay was shot dead in the Chinese crackdown on protestors in March last year, according to the website. The 46-year-old Tibetan from Bathang County is survived by his wife and four children. He was on a pilgrimage to Lhasa with his mother and wife. An armored vehicle, the website said, had shot him as he marched along with other protesters from Ramoche temple towards the post office.

The exile Tibetan government puts the death toll of last year’s unrest in Tibet at about 220. According to it, 1294 Tibetans have been “seriously injured”, 5600 arrested, 290 sentenced and more than a thousand missing as of January 2009.

http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=25353&t=0