Mon 24, Oct 2016 10:47 AM (IST)

Milan makes Dalai Lama its honorary citizen
ITFA organizes Tibet awareness & clean up campaign
Kirti monk beaten, hospitalized after solo protest
Chinese Embassy gets busy wherever I travel: Dalai Lama
Exile Tibetan NGOs hold vigil to condemn Larung Gar demolition
Local shopkeepers maul Tibetan sweater sellers’ stalls in Bahadurgarh, six arrested
Dalai Lama to bestow Swarajya awards
China rebukes Slovakian President for meeting Dalai Lama
Xi gearing for tighter and more inclusive control, says former Indian bureaucrat
Thousands welcome Dalai Lama in Czech capital
Readers' Comments on "Tibetan Parliament changes 'Kalon Tripa' to 'Sikyong'"
The Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile today unanimously adopted a resolution to change the official title of the head of the Dharamshala based Central Tibetan Administration from “Kalon Tripa” to “Sikyong.” Kalon Tripa, in English has been referred to as ‘Chief of Cabinet’ while the new title, Sikyong, translates to ‘Political Leader.’ ...

Location: US
Subject: what's in a name?
Sep 26 2012 08:28 AM

In the end what HE does & accomplishes will count and not by what title he answerrrs to.

Location: MTilla
Subject: Get rid of ignorance & fear
Sep 24 2012 10:09 PM

"While HE is alive, we need to pave way for a smooth transition to a more honest,people- responsible functional democracy free from of the shackle of family hegemonistic rule."

You got that right. Same family hegemonic rule claim to give ‘protection’ to certain ignorant groups-monastics included. Is this a way to function in this modern world.? Why do we need bosses for ‘protection’? People should be free of such shackles & function openly and honestly. This is Eventually taking HHDL & these people for a ride.

Location: Madison
Subject: Sikyong
Sep 24 2012 10:04 PM

If Sikyong is an interum title, which it was in the cases of Reting and Taktra in the absense of a leader, it sounds like we are waiting for another leader to take over.

Subject: What is in a name if the real change doe not come.
Sep 23 2012 10:42 AM

The Chithue could not agree to ammend the term" Kalon Tripa" to " Sokyong" during the last session as if the change of the connotation has a huge political significance. Nil. They waste time like that.

Academically, what is in a name. The last Prime Minister of Independent Tibet- Lhukangapa - was known as a Silon( Political Minister ) of Tibet. In post 1959 Gaden Phodrang, they changed the term, to " Kalon Tripa" ( the Throne Occupier of the Cabinet". Did the change make any difference? What is wrong/right if we change to " Sikyong"?

The term Sikying is NOT translated as a Political leader, akin to PL in 22 establishment.Wrong. Srid means Political, but but sKyong does not mean leader- itmeans Administrator.And this term is not being coined now. It was always there used. The term was used as title confered on the Head of the Regency period in the absence or minor age of the Dalai Lama.

Anyway: Whether we have a,Silon, a Katri or a Sidkyong, for a while the Dalai Lama has become indespensible. While HE is alive, we need to pave way for a smooth transition to a more honest,people- responsible functinal democracy free from of the shackle of family hegemonistic rule. This is easier said than done. The traditional leaders and families who have taken the people and even HHDL for a big ride need to make way for CHANGE. I pinned lots of Hope in Lobsang Senge la- I wish him Best. Atleast he can start the change.

Location: nyc, usa
Subject: 50%
Sep 22 2012 12:59 AM

The title is 50% accurate. Sangye is political, however I see no evidence of him leading in any worthwhile fashion.

Look, we all know that Sangye got elected by the least educated, least experienced members of the Tibetan community.

I've yet to meet a real scholar or activist who voted for him, and though I don't have an immense number of contacts, I probably have enough of a representative sampling to say that very few people with a deep background in Tibetan politics thought Sangye was the best choice. But Americans do the same thing, sometimes.

I recently told some Tibetans I was very close to "Sangye has not demonstrated either a plan, or a timeframe to achieve his proposed autonomy. That is not leadership. If he does those two things, I would not only respect him, I would even be willing to prostrate."

And this, despite my support for Rangzen. Tibet and Tibetans need realistic leadership that badly.

Fortunately for my ego, I doubt I'll be prostrating to Lobsang Sangye anytime soon.

I am sure he is a nice man, and I wish him the best. But if you've read the lives of people from Gandhi, to Oscar Romero, to Michael Collins....people who created political change....Sangye's position and approach would not even merit a footnote in a book on political leadership.

I do suggest the Tibetan people break with the traditional deference to authority, and demand that their "Sikyong" produce.

I hope that in the "Year 2" progress report, there will be enough progress on occupied Tibet to merit more than a few lame, and vague sentences.

Bhod gyal lo!

Location: Bhutan
Subject: Tibetan Equivalent for Prime Minister
Sep 21 2012 05:35 PM

The Kashag(Cabinet) of the CTA could have even adopted the Tibetan equivalent for the Prime Minister as " Lyonchen" as we refer to here in Bhutan. Just my opinion.

Subject: Let's stop pretending
Sep 20 2012 10:52 PM

It doesn’t matter to me what you call the holder of that office. The question is does he or she really has any real political power that was devolved from the top. And if not, why are we pretending as if he does.

Location: Madison
Subject: Welcome
Sep 20 2012 10:24 PM

This is a welcome change and a good title in Tibetan; however, the English title, Political Leader is not worthy of the dignity of the highest office. I knew somebody whose title was political leader in the 22 Establishment. We all need to brainstrom to come up with a better title in English. Sikyong Taktra is commonly known as Regent in Western refrences to his position. I hope somebody will come up with an idea sooner than later to replace, political leader.

Subject: Re
Sep 20 2012 07:09 PM

interesting development
Ayushi Sethi crowned Miss Himalaya 2016 (0)
Over 2,000 nuns evicted from Larung Gar (0)
Canada must not let in Chinese officials until diplomatic access to Tibet: CTC (0)
Will be reincarnated where I can contribute the most: Dalai Lama (0)
Lack of compassion cause man-made problems: Dalai Lama (0)
Ongoing TYC 16th General Body Meeting to amend rules, elect new centrex (0)