Tue 12, Dec 2017 10:06 AM (IST)

Dalai Lama arrives in Mundgod, visits Drepung Monastery
Tibetans hold mass solidarity rally on on Worlds Human rights day in New York
Tibetan Youth Congress condemn Chinese Foreign Minister's visit to India
Combine modern education with the insights of ancient Indian knowledge: Dalai Lama
Senior Himachal BJP leader seeks Bharat Ratna for Dalai Lama
Peace must come through inner peace: Dalai Lama in Mumbai
President Sangay lobbies in US, meets politicians
Tibet Fund confirms 1.5 million USD loan to grant agreement
Gere testifies before Congress on Tibet issue, lauds support
Dalai Lama leaves on 20-day tour of South India
Readers' Comments on ""The Psychology of Tibetan Inaction (the Tortoise Gets Run Over)""
Dharamsala, like all political centers, is awash in games. Nevertheless, I hope that a more mainstream audience will hear what I have to say, considering the merit of my points rather than my lack of power or prestige....
brentwerner1

Subject: Apologies
Jan 02 2016 06:12 AM

I now feel that writing this piece was an arrogant waste of time. I am sorry for adding to the confusion in the difficult situations faced by the Tibetans and the Chinese as they try to move into the future. It is not my place or desire to comment. I wrote this piece in an emotionally stressful time when I was not thinking clearly and I don't think it benefitted anyone. I regret writing it. The example I wish to take from the Tibetans is the example of the great teachers who practice compassion, patience, generosity, discipline, and the like. I myself have no business sharing my thoughts, which are unlikely to benefit anyone, since I have not developed those positive qualities in myself yet. How can a man without a chisel teach another man to carve wood? I will be better off training myself in patience and virtue rather than spouting off about politics.
brentwerner

Location: virginia, usa
Subject: for zenexpat
Sep 25 2012 05:03 PM

Zenexpat, my original comment to you is still in the posting process. That said, I have a brief number of requests for you.

1) Please use your real name. Please don't hide. We need to know who you are to establish your credibility and position within our small community of exiled Tibetans, families, and supporters, if you are one of us.

2) When critiquing my work (which I welcome) please address the full spectrum of references as they focus on the theme. I am somewhat offended that you used a brief mention of the IRA (yes, I respect Michael Collins in particular) to attempt to subvert the value of my larger commentary.

3) Please identify your employer (government?). I want to know to what degree you are free to honestly view and expose the international corruption (in the sense of catering to economic interests) presently occuring with regard to occupied Tibet.

4) When citing atrocity, please tell a balanced story. I am quite aware that the old IRA (the original group is the group that merits attention) engaged in crude violence. That is because they were occupied by the British. Colonialist Britain was brutal and wrong, as wrong as early American colonialists. These people (colonialists) always do the same thing: they rape, torture, and exterminate people in their drive to conquer. The Brits are no better or worse than the Americans were when they herded Cherokee people into pens to be beaten, raped, and slaughtered as if they were sub-human. Don't pretend that the "glorious" British empire ever existed. The most important difference between British colonialism and Chinese colonialism is that the former has failed.

5) Outline briefly whether you support Umelam or Rangzen, why, and how this is the most realistic option. This will help me place your thinking within the range of western thinkers (if one can use that word) on Tibet and China.

***Do feel free to attack me personally. I rather enjoy it. When His Holiness the Dalai Lama decides to ostracize me, I'll be worried. In your case, you are currently an anonymous man on the internet...and as such...I can't take your words too much to heart.****

I do hope you'll be courageous enough to continue the conversation, rather than just bashing my piece and then running from me. A literary S***** punch doesn't interested me, but I am willing to "brawl" with words, for lack of a better analogy.

Cheers,

Brent
brentwerner

Location: virginia, usa
Subject: xenepat
Sep 25 2012 09:54 AM

Thanks so much for your feedback. In a free society like mine, every opinion has value. I don't agree with you, and from my perspective, you're obsessing about the IRA and missing the big picture I was getting at: occupied Tibet.

That said, I can be friendly with you as long as you are resolutely dedicated to the utter destruction of Chinese Maoism in Tibet. Are you?

I have no interest in communicating with soft westerners protecting Chinese and Capitalist common interests. Such persons betray the values of my American homeland. I do love Americans who resolutely oppose China's expansionism, brutality, and fascism.

I hope to hear from you soon concerning what, to me, are the real issues I was addressing. In the meantime, research the nature of British colonialist atrocity, and do note that no war or conflict is free from great evils. You may even wish to consider reading my piece from a broader perspective. Personally, I find that even those I disagree with often make valuable points (of course, the brainwashed sheep of the CCP would be a notable exception to the rule).

Do stay in touch,

-Brent Werner
zenexpat

Location: NYC
Subject: Problem 4
Sep 22 2012 01:54 AM

Your astounding unfamiliarity with the subject matter you present, has left your entire argument without credibility.

Aside from the many other analogies you were unwise to use, not least the article's title, the fact that an apparent Buddhist would use the quote " The Irish Republican Army, though sometimes accused of “terrorism” really did nothing more than meet the violence perpetrated by colonialist Britain..." is nothing less than insulting to those among us who actually practice, and entirely insensitive to the many, many victims of the IRA.

I doubt very much that the Tibetan community hides behind a veil of resistance to the occupation in order to practice the real business of prostitution, racketeering, gun-running, drug-dealing and the general oppression and control of their own people through such sick violence.

I doubt the the people of Enniskillen, Ireland, where the IRA killed 12 innocent men, women and children and seriously injured 63 others would agree with your premise. Nor would the 29 innocents killed and 220 injured who were out shopping on a Saturday morning in Omagh, Ireland.

The IRA is and has been for most of it's time a racket. It's members in reality cold-blooded and greedy criminals who hid behind a political cause, and caused misery and developmental delay for Ireland for decades. It is no accident that the IRA was single-handedly responsible for over 2200 deaths in 30 years, compared to the 370 odd by the British.

To compare such a sinister organization of criminals to the Tibetan community highlights your approach is, at best, glaringly misguided and needs to be reflected upon by you and you alone.

Subject: Defending the vital point is another option
Sep 03 2012 10:50 AM

Locating the finger and disabling it is one option. The other option being to defend one's vital points from the finger.

Culturally, racially, lingustically, and historically Tibetans are distinct from China. Even being in exile, we have the possibility to defend, dissiminate and protect our vital points. This much we should be able to do. Wake up Dharamsala!!

brentwerner

Location: virginia, usa
Subject: a thought, an analogy, a question
Sep 02 2012 07:31 AM

I recently had the pleasure of watching some tapes of a Chinese-American man I like, Professor Wally Jay. He innovated modifications of traditional jiu jitsu, an old Japanese art that features a plethora of joint locks. I liked Wally Jay because he was a Chinese-AMERICAN, and didn't display the sheep-like stupidity of many mainland Chinese who are obedient to their fascist political masters (like Hu Jintao). I also thought his mechanics were pretty good (unlike post-Communist Chinese wushu which has betrayed its ancient roots for empty showmanship). Anyway, a political analogy came to mind.

While it's not easy to pull off, a practitioner who executes an appropriate joint lock can drive a much larger and stronger opponent into the ground by manipulating a single finger. The pressure on that joint creates a pain reaction that makes the opponent literally dive in the direction you want him to (if not, the joint dislocates or breaks).

What is China's little finger? How might Tibetans put it in a lock?

China is a larger, and stronger opponent. An appropriate metaphor is that you are a small, old grandmother and aa crazed, genocidal, Communist soldier is about to rape you. How are you going to grab that finger? Where is the finger? And where do you intend to throw the sick B******?
brentwerner

Location: virginia, usa
Subject: reply to assanga
Aug 31 2012 06:34 PM

Dear Assanga,

Thank you for your unusually broad-minded observations. I appreciate the sentiments. Let me state the obvious and painful fact which is the axis mundi of my still-evolving views:

* No country recognizes Tibet as an independent nation, although any intelligent observer or Tibetologist NOT paid by a foreign government will likely inform you Tibet was independent.

Tibetans have been reduced to begging these morally indifferent foreign nations to intervene with Communist China. Communist China specializes in treachery, deceit, and lies, the very basis of their pretense of negotiation. This form of Buddhist begging is a fundamental flaw in the Tibetan approach.

Whether pursuing autonomy or Rangzen, Tibetans need a tremendous force to drag an unwilling China either to a legitimate negotiating table, or better, yet, out of the Land of Snows and back to the Land of Rice and Mao.

This force could be violent or non-violent, but it must be compelling.

A friend of mine is a good Christian. We don't even agree on domestic politics, at all, but he has a good heart, even though he is a conservative. He once told me "Brent,I don't understand Tibetans. If someone pulled this stuff in America, we would be up in the mountains re-enacting Red Dawn."

Red Dawn is a fine movie, and if you don't understand the connotation, I do suggest viewing the original, as well as the exciting new adaptation that is coming out.

Lest I be construed as racist, I would suggest that a minority of Han Chinese could remain in China after swearing an oath of allegiance to an Independent Tibet. The Han people are not the problem, except when they are exploitative and treacherous. Really, the problem is a pseudo-Socialist State (China) that empowers the elite at the expense of the masses. But that is another issue. That is a Chinese issue, and as Tibetans must sort out Tibet, so must the Han people develop integrity and courage to sort out their own problems.

Strategy?

Well, technological developments might mean the mosquito plan needs to evolve correspondingly, but crippling the Chinese economy is probably the only way to influence those blood-thirsty Communists.

The other option is to continue converting Chinese people to Vajrayana and pray that they'll do something humanitarian, instead of just exploiting the situation like that silly wushu acrobat, Jet Li. It hasn't worked yet. I even have a Chinese friend who is a hell of a good guy, despite being politically useless, in typical Han fashion. But I digress....

Subject: Allan O Hume
Aug 31 2012 03:13 PM

Hello Brent la,

As a Tibet lover and more so as a Tibetan " magpa" I feel you have every right to participate in free discusion and expression of ideas. One of reasons that has bogged us down for ages is for want of free expression and exchange of ideas among young and educcated Tibetans.
When we talk of free expression and exchange of views and ideas amongst ourselves, I feel some kind of a inherent cultural stagnation of ideas is accountable. It is from this perspective you can play a unique role. For example- it took a British Civil Officer, Allan Octavian Hume, whose idea sowed the seed of Indian National Congress. You can be in his shoe.

I also have hunch that the Tibetan education policy in India ran through shortcomings: It produced mostly literate, but shy boys and girls. This situation a proved a fertile ground for powerful traditionalists to sow seeds of their re-production in the new generations. Even to this day,look at those who are in the helm of Tibetn affairs- be it CTA, NY, Parliament etc. Duplication of the traditionalists.

We have a problem within. No wonder, HHDL demanded " Where are our specialists? " and poor L.Singe had to make a promise to produce 10000 of them in 5 years.

brentwerner

Location: virginia, usa
Subject: reply to comment by assange
Aug 29 2012 08:57 PM

I think it is best that I do not outline or decide a strategy "for" you. I love Tibet and Tibetans, but I am not Tibetan. I am American. You need to decide your own fate and a realistic method to achieve it. I am an observer. Sometimes, an objective, outside observer can help make you aware that your government has an untenable, foolish, and wasteful position, as well as an utter lack of strategy.

I can offer philosophical viewpoints on freedom struggles and some limited personal support, but ultimately it is the Tibetan people's duty and responsibility to achieve freedom and justice from the genocidal colonialists of Communist China.

Even if I had some good ideas, I would not necessarily post them on the internet where any Chinese Communist donkey could see them.

Good luck in making a difference for Tibet and Tibetans!

Subject: Right time right action/right leader
Aug 28 2012 05:21 PM

Brent la,
I think everything had wrong for Tibet from the beginning. Soon after the cultural Revolution , when there was leadership crisis in China, the right action would have been- for us as well for America/India etc. to strike hard. Mustang fiasco is a sad memory. Who backed away from Mustang? Their hot blood was wasted.

Today, China is strong, America and India are commercially China-dependent; young Tibetans are just introduced to the fanciful luxuries of the west. Lonely Lhasang Tsering ,tired of shouting for Mosquito War is friendless. Could you be a bit more specific how and where I will be able to contribute my sacrifice for my fatherland? I dont want die a meanigless death, though I am ready.
Page : [1] 2 3
Tibet Fund confirms 1.5 million USD loan to grant agreement (0)
Kashag’s allegations “false, incomplete and manipulative,” says former NA envoy P. Tsering (0)
Open letter to Tibetans from a German woman (0)
“A small victory for Tibet,” say activists after U20 Chinese football team walkout in Germany (0)
Exile Tibetans vote in Himachal assembly elections (0)
Act with caution: China warns governments against meeting Dalai Lama (0)
Open Letter from Shenpenn Khymsar (0)
TYC activists storm Chinese embassy as China's 19th Party Congress kicks off (0)