Tue 12, Dec 2017 06:20 AM (IST)

Dalai Lama arrives in Mundgod, visits Drepung Monastery
Tibetans hold mass solidarity rally on on Worlds Human rights day in New York
Tibetan Youth Congress condemn Chinese Foreign Minister's visit to India
Combine modern education with the insights of ancient Indian knowledge: Dalai Lama
Senior Himachal BJP leader seeks Bharat Ratna for Dalai Lama
Peace must come through inner peace: Dalai Lama in Mumbai
President Sangay lobbies in US, meets politicians
Tibet Fund confirms 1.5 million USD loan to grant agreement
Gere testifies before Congress on Tibet issue, lauds support
Dalai Lama leaves on 20-day tour of South India
Readers' Comments on "The Myth of Tibetan Moral Superiority"
“There’s Michael Jordan, and then there is the rest of us.” This is how Earvin “Magic” Johnson assented to the general consensus that MJ was the unparalleled superstar of the NBA in the 1990’s. Likewise when it comes to moral uprightness and righteousness among Tibetans,...
vowholder

Location: america
Subject: meateaters
Dec 26 2005 03:05 PM

Its a waste of time to talk about whether or not tibetans should eat meat.

While we discourse on vegetarianism, we forget that it is the Chinese who brought previously unknown famine and starvation to the Tibetan people.

While we discourse on saints, we forget about the ordinary Tibetans STILL suffering the tortures and rapes of the Communist Chinese gestapo.

Even His Holiness the Dalai Lama is not a vegetarian, because his health does not permit it. Some foolish youth try to pursue His Holiness to be a vegetarian, contradicting the advice of his Tibetan and Western doctors. I find their actions well-meaning but silly.

The health of His Holiness takes absolute precedence over western, vegetarian agendas.

Of course, as many lamas instruct, to be a vegetarian is honorable, wonderful, and best....but when you proselytize it, you become like those annoying Christians forcing pamphlets down one's throat...thinking the whole world is about YOUR idea of the truth, and forgetting its only YOUR idea.

The facts of the Tibetan nation, on the other hand, are well documented truths, however much the corrupt state department of the United States of America tries to deny them. Tibet was an independent nation. Condoleeza Rice, why would you let the department lie and pretend that Tibet was never free? This bold faced lie hurts.
simpleman

Location: here
Subject: tibetan morality
Dec 26 2005 08:32 AM

It would be better to speak of the morality of a good buddhist, than to assume that due to a person's race or ancestry he possesses ethics.

for example, there are those of the big, big khuto (aristocrat) families who possess no moral integrity...who rape, steal, lie, and cheat. they are tibetans if we analyze their dna. maybe they are something lesser if we analyze their hearts.

there are those who follow the dholgyal cult who murder and rape their way through their defiled desires. they are tibetans if we analyze their dna. maybe they are something lesser if we analyze their hearts.

then there are the vast majority of tibetans...devoted to His Holiness the Dalai Lama....flawed but trying....invoking the Buddhas....doing their best.

so, we prostrate to the lama, and not to his family, his money, or his race!
casio

Location: usa
Subject: article
Dec 24 2005 10:23 AM

tenzin wangyal's article was very good. i agree with him. i am waiting for his next article!
Love123

Location: US
Subject: Catholic Priest asking for money
Dec 21 2005 03:27 AM

Extra:

Do you mean the Catholic Priests knock on your door to ask for money in Romania?

That is news to me.

Over here, the only missionaries knocking on my door are the very nicely dressed young Mormon Missionaries.

Of course they awee not asking for money but giving out Mormon booklets.

But I had to tell them that I am a Buddhist (even though I am a Christian) to halt further conversation.

Hmmm.....even though I lied I felt very good because they didn't need to waste their precious time on me.
tibetanrefugee

Location: US
Subject: Interesting read
Dec 20 2005 08:15 PM

It's a good story and a well-written one. Keep up your work. The question you dealt with about what we Tibetans think about ourselves is also very interesting interesting.
MingMayLa

Location: Salem, MA
Subject: Moral superiority
Dec 20 2005 07:51 AM

I don't believe we claim moral superiority per se, but we put efforts in doing things right morally. Won't you say you have been asked to do so by your teachers or parents? The part of reasons for doing so is our values, which is culture induced actions that we do in our everyday life. Our culture, values, and our actions are so intertwined inexplicably that they become a part of what we are. There is nothing wrong - in conducting oneself morally, and it is not necessarily the cause of our downfalls or failures.

Sometimes in our self-diagnosis, we may end up diagnosing the wrong ailment or worst still, we may end up putting us through a wrong treatment. Perhaps, you all have heard of cases where a wrong arm was amputed or left side of the brain was operated on. This is one of the pitfalls that we may have to be a little cautious about.

Anyway, cheers for the thought provoking personal scribblings.
EXTRA

Location: Romania
Subject: And I saw
Dec 18 2005 08:06 PM

And I saw I did the same thing.
I reproached exactely to those who would have cared.
But I do believe the saints should do more.I mean,there is no reason why they shouldn't. Because moral superiority is not about not interfering but it's about help.
If there is one thing we need more in this world,We need more saints.
I mean,there are so few of them,
probably they need help to do more.
Or maybe saints are like doctors in the emergency room,after a while they are not shocked of anything anymore.
I heard His Holiness Dalai Lama loved MASH television series,where the main character tried to live a normal life in a mad war situation.Sometimes the doctors took decisions over patients that in a normal world could have brought them in a court of law,I personally disagreed with this. Everyone has the right to decide upon his own destiny not let others to decide for him. This about the final phrase from the article when it was said : <Tibetans are not the middle-aged savaged the chinese present but they are not Boddhisattvas either and that is why they shouldn't be used as sacrificial lamb.>mY OPINION: Tibetans have right to return in Tibet and live a normal life there. Tibetans have right to eat meat as long as the world will eat meat or they will use"sun rays mirror to materialize food" and
they have the right to consider themselves superior because they belong to Tibetan Buddhism but not superior against other beings but superior against human nature.
EXTRA

Location: Romania
Subject: And I saw
Dec 18 2005 08:05 PM

And I saw I did the same thing.
I reproached exactely to those who would have cared.
If there is one thing we need more in this world,We need more saints.
I mean,there are so few of them,
probably they need help to do more.
I heard His Holiness Dalai Lama loved MASH television series,where the main character tried to live a normal life in a mad war situation.Sometimes the doctors took decisions over patients that in a normal world could have brought them in a court of law,I personally disageed with this. Everyone has the right to decide upon his own destiny not let others to decide for him. This about the final phrase from the article when it was said : <Tibetans are not the middle-aged savaged the chinese present but they are not Boddhisattvas either and that is why they shouldn't be used as sacrificial lamb.>mY OPINION: Tibetans have right to return in Tibet and live a normal life there. Tibetans have right to eat meat as long as the world will eat meat or they will use"sun rays mirror to materialize food" and
they have the right to consider themselves superior because they belong to Tibetan Buddhism but not superior againt other beings but superior against human nature.
EXTRA

Location: Romania
Subject: there is moral superiority
Dec 18 2005 07:04 PM

Let me tell you a little story.
Today was in my building with the occassion of Christmas a Christian priest who knocked in my door.
I asked "who is it?" and he answered :
"The father with the icon." but I did not open the door because I had no money to give him in that moment and because he got me undressed.Insted, I went and I kissed the icons I had in my house.
After he left there been not even
two minutes and I started to feel pain in my heart. The pain became bigger and I had to lie down.After the crises was gone I begun to wonder,was it that priest's revenge that I did not open the door?Or it was me,like I felt guilty?I am sure noone else from my neighnbours had any guilt about not opening.
The same with moral superiority. I read here that Buddhist don't want
to harm creatures but Tibetan eat meat.What are you trying to do?The world eats meat but doesn't seem anybody to make any reproach. Why you make reproach only to those who would care about it?
Of course I would love a world only with happiness where nobody suffers and that would happen if all those who are named 'saints'would help.If they would use at least half of the powers they have. Why don't they?
Everytime I hear a child needs money to make an operation that would save its life and the family is too poor ,
why they ask only for the money from others?Why saints don't help?
The same with Tibetan Refugees. Why they ask always for money?Why the saints don't help since they are present?Not that I don't like to help,I do want to help but the saints could help better if they would want to.We are not in kali yuga anymore.
They could help a little bit more.
samdup46

Location: india
Subject: there is not dictator who made his country democratized.
Dec 18 2005 01:04 PM

hi man,
i think you should think carefully before you say something. don't say as soon as you heard something from other.
do you have ever heard any dictator who who made his country democratized?
bye
Page : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ...7
Tibet Fund confirms 1.5 million USD loan to grant agreement (0)
Kashag’s allegations “false, incomplete and manipulative,” says former NA envoy P. Tsering (0)
Open letter to Tibetans from a German woman (0)
“A small victory for Tibet,” say activists after U20 Chinese football team walkout in Germany (0)
Exile Tibetans vote in Himachal assembly elections (0)
Act with caution: China warns governments against meeting Dalai Lama (0)
Open Letter from Shenpenn Khymsar (0)
TYC activists storm Chinese embassy as China's 19th Party Congress kicks off (0)