Hi guest, Register | Login | Contact Us
Welcome to Phayul.com - Our News Your Views
Fri 28, Nov 2014 02:10 AM (IST)
Search:     powered by Google
 MENU
Home
News
Photo News
Opinions
Statements &
Press Releases

Book Reviews
Movie Reviews
Interviews
Travels
Health
Obituaries
News Discussions
News Archives
Download photos from Tibet
 Latest Stories
Tibetan lawmaker's book on self immolation launched
No freedom for Tibetans in Tibet, says top US diplomat
10 Tibetans sentenced up to 13 years for Drango protest
Monk arrested for lone protest in Sershul
Nepal bars Tibetans from Boudha stupa during SAARC Summit
Earthquake in Dartsedo kills five
ED gives clean chit to Karamapa on forex charge
Self Immolator sent home with amputated legs
First ‘Dhangla Riwo’ magazine released
China expels over 100 nuns in Dhingri
 Latest Photo News
A Tibetan man carrying a placard at a protest in the backdrop of G20 Summit in Brisbane, Australia. The campaign is carried out jointly by the Australian Tibet Council and Students for a Free Tibet. 15/11/14 Photo:SFT
A gigantic banner released by Tibet activists near the iconic Story Bridge in presence of mediapersons in Brisbane, Australia, where 20 world leaders will meet for G20 summit.  Nov. 14, 2014
His Holiness the Dalai Lama arrives at Theckchen Choeling in McLeod Ganj after concluding visit to Japan, Canada and USA, Nov. 7, 2014, Phayul Photo: Kunsang Gashon
more photos »
Advertisement
China’s dead line for Tibetan officials on pilgrimage ends
Phayul[Thursday, February 16, 2012 22:37]
By Tendar Tsering

DHARAMSHALA, February 15: The three-day dead line issued by the Chinese government to Tibetan officials who have been on leave for pilgrimage ended yesterday.

In the dead line issued on Sunday, the Chinese government had warned Tibetan officials on leave, of harsh punishments if they failed to return to their homes in three days.

The warning came after hundreds of Tibetans, who were returning from pilgrimage to India and Nepal were arrested and are currently being detained on unclear charges.

"The Chinese government has warned Tibetan officials in Chinese occupied Tibet of serious actions and harsh punishments if they failed to return home before February 15," Kalsang Gyaltsen, a Member of the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile said.

The parliamentarian also said Chinese security personnel recently raided a meditation monastery near the Tibetan capital Lhasa and expelled more than two dozen of its monks the same day.

The Dharamshala based Central Tibetan Administration had earlier reported that a group of returning pilgrims was whisked away on a train bound for China.

Chinese security forces had surrounded the Tibetan pilgrims at a railway station in Lhasa on January 31 and forcibly took them away on a train bound for China. Their whereabouts and well-being are not yet known.

A Tibetan from Tibet had earlier told Phayul that returning pilgrims were being “stopped, harassed and threatened at gun point” by Chinese security personnel.

China has especially set up a dozen security checkpoints from the border town of Dram (Ch: Zhangmu) at the Nepal-Tibet border all the way to Lhasa, targeting Tibetan pilgrims on their way back home from Nepal and India.

Medicines, religious artifacts and even rosaries have been confiscated from the pilgrims.

Many Tibetans have reportedly gone missing and are yet to arrive at their homes.

Beginning mid-February till the end of March, Chinese authorities have decided to cut-off Tibet from the outside world with an official ban on all foreign visitors.

The ban encompasses two important events; the Tibetan New Year from February 22-24 and the Tibetan national uprising day commemorated on March 10. Three years ago, demonstrations on March 10, 2008 had led to the biggest ever pan-Tibet uprisings since the uprisings in 1959.
Print Send Bookmark and Share
  Readers' Comments »
Be the first to comment on this article

 Other Stories
China’s dead line for Tibetan officials on pilgrimage ends
Tibetans protest Qinghai Governor’s visit to Delhi
TYC lays out campaign plans for Losar, Says mass movement in the offing
Ngaba’s new party chief vows to strike severely at ‘hostile forces’
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo Galleries
Advertisement
Phayul.com does not endorse the advertisements placed on the site. It does not have any control over the google ads. Please send the URL of the ads if found objectionable to editor@phayul.com
Copyright © 2004-2014 Phayul.com   feedback | advertise | contact us
Powered by Lateng Online
Advertisement