Rabten, head of Dragkar village, who was severely injured in the attacks.
DHARAMSHALA, July 22: A long-running border dispute between local Tibetans and Chinese in eastern Tibet turned ugly when around a hundred hired Chinese goons attacked a Tibetan village security post and wounded 17 Tibetans, including three who are in critical condition.
The incident occurred last Wednesday, July 17, in Arik Dragkar village in Dola region which borders the Chinese township of Tsomen in Minle in Gansu province.
According to Arik Gyurmey, a Tibetan living in Dharamshala with close contacts in the region said that Chinese goons hired by the residents of Tsomen launched a surprise raid on the Tibetan village post with sharp weapons, batons, and stones.
“At the time of the attack, around 33 Tibetans residents of Arik Dragkar were at the post,” Gyurmey said. “In the brutal onslaught that followed, the Chinese goons broke both the legs and arms of Rabten, head of Dragkar village. Two others; Samdup and Showotrang suffered serious injuries to their head and legs. All three are currently getting medical treatment at a Gansu hospital.”
Also, 14 other injured Tibetans are undergoing treatment at a hospital in Menli while around 10 Tibetans escaped to the hills, the same source added.
Gyurmey noted that although there have been quarrels between the two villages over the actual border in the past, clashes have never been so serious.
Phayul has received photos of severely injured Tibetans with bloodied faces following the attacks.
Following China’s invasion and complete occupation of Tibet in 1959, the entire landmass of ancient Tibet was bifurcated into five regions. The new demarcation of land and the ongoing large influx of Chinese migrants into Tibet have resulted in frequent cases of land grabbing and protests by local Tibetans.
Another injured Tibetan villager.
The clashes follows reports of a major incidence of official seizure of large areas of farming land and grassland used by Tibetans in the Muge region of Sungchu in eastern Tibet this month.
Local Chinese authorities appropriated all farmlands in Achu nomadic camp in lower Muge area and farmlands in neighbouring A-ngag and Agon camps in the name of hydropower projects to generate electricity without consulting or having the consent of the native Tibetans.
Earlier this year, a Tibetan man Gachoe, around 35, was arrested on January 19 for taking part in a public-led protest against Chinese government land seizures from local Tibetans in Nangchen region.
Protests against land seizures by Chinese authorities in Tibet have led to mass demonstrations and at least two self-immolations by Tibetans.
On September 13, 2012, Passang Lhamo, 62, set herself on fire in China's capital city of Beijing in protesting the illegal land grabbing in her native Keygudo region of eastern Tibet.
She was reportedly taken to hospital where she was treated for "severe burn injuries."
Passang Lhamo was forced to head to Beijing after local authorities in Keygudo refused to allow her to retain her ancestral home following the major rebuilding process in the region in the aftermath of the devastating 2010 earthquake. Repeated appeals to the central authorities in Beijing had also failed to yield any concrete results.
Also last year, a Tibetan mother of two, Dickyi Choezom had set herself on fire on June 27 in Keygudo town during a public protest against Chinese government policies of forced eviction and land seizures. She was reportedly taken to a hospital in Siling following which no information on her wellbeing and whereabouts have been made available.